Saturday 9 October 2010

Research and Development

Research is a very important thing when designing, or progressing ideas towards a final design.
I think it is essential that secondary research is done to find out what is already out there and how we can maybe progress it further to create something contemporary and original. I also believe that primary research is equally important as we can collect fresh, original data of our own by either making questionnaires to hand out, interview random people on the street, photograph buildings or objects that inspire us and document this in a sketchbook, this way we can produce a new design out of ideas that we have researched from visually communicating with what is around us.
I feel we can contribute to deeper understanding of the subject in matter by collecting information and photographs about it.

Jill Calder is a great example for someone who collects a variety of interesting, inspiring observations, making sketches of everyday life that inspires her.

"I love drawing. I'd quite happily draw on anything (and quite often do) but some hot pressed Fabriano paper or a Moleskin notebook are my surfaces of choice."



Paul Davis (illustrator)




"I fill notebook after notebook after notebook because I feel sick when I forget potentially good ideas, I take photographs, I draw, I scan, I Photoshop.”

I think it is really important to collect photographs, drawings, notes and maybe even listening to peoples conversations e.g on a train or bus journey and record all this information in a sketchbook to help progress our ideas and visually create something out of it.

Visual practice is also very important, everyday we are visually communicating for example, talking to our friends, walking observing what is around us, reading books. By understanding various practices we can progress and advance our own.
I believe that every piece of work produced is a progression of something the artist has been inspired by, whether it be a small image or idea from a magazine, it doesn't matter.
As long as we are open minded, hard working and we take risks, anything is possible.


Bibliography


No comments:

Post a Comment